October AKArchivists meeting
First of all, thank you to all of you have expressed an interest in this group. For those of you who are interested in the group because you’d like to advocate on behalf of archives, thank you so much. We’d like to point you toward the Alaska Historical Society which has a task force working on advocacy for so many of our Alaskan archives, museums, and libraries that are in crisis. Dr. Ian Hartman at UAA is chair of the AHS Advocacy Committee and will be happy to talk with you about how you might get involved with or contribute to their ongoing efforts. We’re so thankful to them for taking a leadership role in advocating on our behalf and being willing to coordinate efforts in that area.
Thursday, October 11: 10:00 am.
Please use the contact link above to get instructions for joining the meeting. If you don’t hear back from us by Wednesday October 10, call the UAA/APU Consortium Library Archives @ 907-786-1849. For those of you using mobile devices, click on the menu button and you’ll find the link to the contact form.
Welcome, introduction to the group, introduction of participants
Guide to participation/code of conduct
- What would we like to have as topics for future meetings?
- Suggestions from the initial poll:
- Previously unmanaged archive, first steps to organization and physical access
- Outreach & Advocacy; National/Alaska History Day
- How can statewide entities better support archivists and archives? What do professionals in the state need to do their jobs better?
- How to build a materials budget & how to make the case for the materials funding to a board
- Scheduling the November meeting, and possible follow-ups
- Is there a time of day that’s generally better than others? Day of the week? Week of the month?